Thursday, July 17, 2014

Decorating Diva

Decorating Diva...well not really. I just thought the title sounded catchy. Truth is, I've done some recent decorating that I'm quite happy about, so I thought I'd share.

See, my decorating problem is that I rush into things. When we first moved into our house about a year and a half ago, I felt the urge to get decorating done quickly and I rushed. Instead, what I should have done, and what I've learned to do, is live in the space a bit, feel it out, and then make your decisions about what would look great in the space.  Recently some great decorating ideas have just sort of come to me- and I am very pleased with the outcome.

First...lets talk rugs. What an easy, simple way to warm up your space. We have a very open layout in the downstairs (which I love) but it is all hardwood floors. We definitely needed some rugs to make the area a bit cozier. Here's my other problem. I AM PICKY. I feel like I search and search and search for the "perfect" thing. I never settle for something that's just "okay". Maybe that's part of why it takes me so long to decorate a room.  Anyways, of ALL the places I shopped, I found these beauties at Lowes. Let me tell you, if you are in the market for some rugs, GO THERE. Great selection, lower prices.


 
I got this pair of rugs (one for the kitchen and one for the entry way) for cheaper than ONE rug at Pier 1! And they were larger. Sorry the pictures are not more clear, I am in need of an iPhone upgrade.
 
 
Recently, we inherited a beautiful antique 4 poster bed set. We replaced our guest room furniture with it. I am thrilled with the way it looks, and love the antique charm it gives. It goes very well with the style of our home.
 
 
 
Evan re-finished this old dresser for me to go with the white quilt on the bed.  Did I mention how much I love having a handy husband?! :)
 
 I picked out new knobs (crystal style) that gives it a nice little bit of old, with a little bit of new, look. I found the mirror at Kirkland's on sale for $20. I do love a good deal!
 
 
 
I love the calm feel this room gives.
 
Now, onto our entry way (foyer) in the downstairs. I had been struggling with what to put on the wall since it was a large space. After searching ETSY (I LOVE this website) I found this-
 
 
It is larger than it looks, and ties in perfectly. This is a wall cling. I am a sucker for anything with a monogram.
 
 
I also love that you can see it on your way down the stairs.
 
 
 
Finally, onto our master bedroom. Long story short, I ordered a bed in a bag set from Amazon last year that looked WAY better online than it did when I got it. (Why do things ALWAYS look better online than in person?) In order to try and save the extra money, I just went with it. I wasn't totally in love with it, but it was "okay" for now. We were trying to go with the blue/brown motif. We took the color in the comforter and painted it on the walls...which turned out a bit darker than we hoped. So again...we just went with it.  It was a decorating disaster, and I was not pleased with the way it looked. Here is a picture of the before...
 


 
 
Not pictured- chocolate brown curtains on the walls. (again way too bold, but we already had them and I was trying to utilize what I had)
 
 
The whole color motif was just too bold/bright/stark for a master bedroom. Instead of feeling a sense of calm when entering the room, I felt wired. Maybe that's why I haven't been sleeping well!
 
Our original plan was to change the color of the walls to a soft blue. I had picked out a paint sample that I loved- and off I went to search for bedding, curtains, and pillows to tie it all in together.
 
After several stops over many days- I ended up at Pier 1. The place I like to go last because of the price. I feel like its a bit too pricey there- but somehow I always find what I need.  Go figure! I found these- 2 pillows, and matching curtains. I was SOLD the second I saw that they made curtains to match.
 


 
These have a beautiful mix of blues (both soft blue and a blue green) khaki, and soft greens. What I didn't know at the time, was when I got these home, they matched our walls PERFECTLY! Evan didn't have to paint them again after all which made him very happy.
 
 
I ordered a beautiful khaki colored comforter online that I found through Overstock.com. Everything tied in together beautifully. The curtains and the light colored comforter really toned down the color of the walls. It's amazing what curtains can do for a room.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
I found this beautiful canvas painting at Marshall's that tied all my colors in PERFECTLY. I can't believe I got that lucky.
 
 
I added some shelves.
 
 
 
...and attempted my hand at some fancy dresser decorating. :)
 
 
I know it is hard to tell by the pictures the colors and how it all ties in. Bottom line is, this room is an instant feeling of calm when you walk in. I am in love with it. The only thing missing is something for above the bed. I found this on ESTY.com-
 
 
 
Of course, these are not our initials. I had to order ours and it will be here next week. It is hand made (out of wood) to hang above our bed. I ordered it unfinished so we can paint it whatever color we decide.  I really hope it ties into our room okay, and gives it the perfect finishing touch.
 
Thank you for letting me share a little bit of what I've been up to these last few weeks.
 
Happy Thursday!

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 

 


1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about rushing to decorate, to put YOUR fingerprint on a space. I'm guilty of doing the same and am now rethinking the curtains in my den. They've been up since January 2009 so at least I've gotten my money's worth, and hopefully I can sell them and recoup some of the money I'll be spending on new stuff.

    The master bedroom looks great! I like how the comforter is plain and then you have the pops in the pillows. I always forget about Lowes for rugs, but I will have to keep them in mind next time I'm in need.

    ReplyDelete