Friday, March 14, 2014

When the stomach bug hits...

Something a mother prays every day...

 Please Lord, I can handle snot all day long. But vomit!? No. Please. No! Pleaaasseee don't let my child catch the stomach bug...

And then, it happens. Evan had the 24 hr bug on Tuesday, and then Ethan caught it Wednesday late at night (or early in the morning) Thursday. I was already sleeping downstairs in the guest room trying to avoid catching anything from Evan. I'd just settled into a good sleep and I hear Ethan start gagging and screaming over the monitor. I knew in that moment what had happened.

A deer in headlights. That's what I felt like. What do I do first? Where do I start? How do I handle this? Evan came to the rescue (thank goodness he was pretty much recovered) and helped handle this two man job.

After 4 rounds of vomit, 3 loads of laundry, 3 baths, and a few good carpet cleans later...we survived. Ethan finally settled down enough to sleep around 3:30am, and I "slept" (yeah right) on the couch in the playroom which is right across from Ethan's room. I think I finally fell asleep around 5 or 5:30am and Ethan was back up at 8. Much to my surprise the next day was not bad. We were fortunate enough that Ethan didn't get sick past 3am. We just hung low and tried to re-cooperate. Ethan did have a fever of 101.5, but doctor said not to worry. By that night Ethan was getting his appetite back and it was smooth sailing from there.

I guess if we had to get the "bug" at least it was the 24 hr one!

I survived and now I'll be better prepared for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment