Friday, May 23, 2014

27 months/ 2 years and 3 months

I wanted to take some time to pause and reflect. Our sweet boy is just over 2 years old now and I can't believe how much he has grown and changed. Why do I write a blog about my son at this age? So I can look back and remember. Remember, yes remember. Because I don't want to forget.

Ethan is social. He loves babies, and big kids too. He has no problem engaging in a conversation with a complete stranger. The first thing out of his mouth will probably be something about a truck. I think his main purpose in life is to share his passion of trucks with everyone he meets. :) He loves to talk. NEVER.STOPS. His vocabulary is amazing for a kid this age. He speaks in full sentences, heck, sometimes paragraphs. He is smart, sensitive, silly, energetic, caring, and full of love.

Things he likes...

Ethan LOVES trucks. I can't use the word "like" because it just isn't fitting. It might even borderline obsessed. Any and every kind of truck you can imagine. Garbage trucks, mail trucks, UPS trucks, FedEx trucks, car carries, mixers, tow trucks, FIRETRUCKS, dump trucks, tractor trailers...the list goes on and on. He also does love the occasional tractor and gator, too! When we ride in the car, the entire duration of the car ride is spent talking about all the trucks that we see. Honestly, until I had Ethan, I never knew how many trucks were in the world...or I just never paid attention.

 
 
 
 


Ethan also likes being outside. The park, the playground, the sand box, the dirt, walks, and pushing his dump truck. Ahhhh yes, the dump truck. We have had full blown fits over this thing. The child always wants to push his dump truck. It could be 20 degrees, 100 degrees, raining...it doesn't matter. If he sees it in the garage, he wants to push it. I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. The big green dump truck has been everywhere. The beach, the sandbox, dirt piles, rock piles, and every side walk that ever existed in our neighborhood.

 
 


He likes the water. This includes baths. I usually end up looking like a drowned rat after bath time. We just started swim lessons, which he loves. If you gave him a bucket of water, he would find a way to entertain himself for an hour. This summer we are going to take him out on my dad's boat. I can't wait to see how he reacts. One thing is for sure, this kid is not afraid of the water.



He likes nap time and bed time. Yes, it's true. I never have to beg and plead. This kid loves a good nap, and for that I am thankful. He still manages to sleep for a good 11-12 hours a night. Usually from about 7:30-7:45pm to around 7-7:15am. Once again, I am thankful. He loves his "T-bear" and his "blank-blank" or "blankie." He still sleeps with his white noise machine. He loves white noise. Our whole family sleeps better with white noise.

He likes going to the grocery store and "The Target". Almost every single morning without fail he asks me "mommy can we go to the grocery store?" I'm sure you can guess why he likes "The Target." Because they give out stickers, of course. Why does he like the grocery store? Because this is one of the only times he is allowed to use my iphone to watch truck videos. He usually watches garbage trucks or a video on tow trucks.

Ice cream and sweets...what kid doesn't like sweets?! Every Saturday or Sunday he will usually ask to go eat ice cream. Our favorite spot is the Fuquay Dairy Queen. We usually sit outside so that Ethan can...yes you guessed it. Watch the trucks go by. This has become a fun family tradition.

His favorite TV shows are Peppa Pig, Dora, and Paw Patrol.

He likes his water flavored with crystal light water flavor.

His favorite foods right now include- jelly sandwiches, cheese, fruit pouches, grapes, green beans, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, goldfish, biscuits, and chocolate chip muffins. And ice cream.



Things he doesn't like...

Going to restaurants.  This is very hit or miss, but mostly a miss. I swear the second we walk into a restaurant he flips on the crazy kid switch. If we go somewhere with him, we try to keep it to fast food, or somewhere we can eat outside. This leads me to my next item...

"Buggies" as he calls them. He is not a fan of bees and wasps. He will run and scream like a girl.

Sitting still. Yeah, I know what your thinking. NO two year old wants to sit still. But it's still something he doesn't like doing.

Meal time. Maybe I should say this is a work in progress instead of "things he doesn't like." A lot of times he doesn't want to sit still long enough (as mentioned above!) or he is too busy or involved in a project. He would rather graze all day long than eat 3 meals a day. We go through normal phases where he is very willing to try new foods and eat well, and times when he doesn't.  It's frustrating.

Being cooped up inside all day. I try really hard to plan fun things for us to do throughout the week.

Long car rides. Each year gets a little better. I am hoping that this year will be the best by far. We are taking a 3 hour car ride to the beach in a couple of weeks...so we shall see. The very first time I took him on a long car ride (6 weeks old) he screamed bloody murder the ENTIRE time. It was horrifying, and I needed a drink fast.

What he has taught me...

How to be patient.

How to see the humor in sometimes not- so- funny situations.

How to be strong.

To be creative.

How to be a kid again.

That there is more love to give, even when you think you've given all you can give.

There is more to life than looking pretty, or driving a nice car. Sometimes all you need is a dirty little boy, and a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt. That's really all you need.

Thank you Ethan Robert Boutwell for teaching more than I ever thought a little boy could teach me. Thank you for making me a stronger woman. I love you.



1 comment:

  1. Loved reading all about Ethan! I have a feeling I have a lot of trucks in my future. :) And Connor's another Aquarius and he loves bathtime. No pools or oceans for us just yet.

    ReplyDelete