Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cream Cheese Chicken Chili

The change of the season brings a newfound energy in our house. As much as we enjoyed summer, I think I might have lost my mind if I had to drag Ethan and all his toys to the pool one more time. A kid can only be sunscreened up so many times people!

Evan and I have always loved fall. After all, we did get married in the fall. :) It just has a special meaning in our house.

With the change of weather, I've been itching to get some fall cooking underway. Thanks to my cousin Christy for this awesome chili recipe. Since I am on a very special and strict diet (and no, not to loose weight) this chili was perfect. It does not have any heavy tomato sauces which really irritate my stomach. I also love this because it all goes into the crock pot- which means simple and easy. My two favorite cooking words.

So, here it goes-

Ingredients:
  • 4 frozen chicken breasts
  • 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes (original)
  • 2 cans of corn, undrained
  • 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 packages of Ranch dressing mix
  • 1 Tsp of chili powder (I would suggest going with half of this if you don't like spicy)
  • 1 Tsp of cumin 1 tsp of onion powder
  • 2 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
  • Optional (but highly recommended): cilantro, sour cream, and avocado for topping
What to Do:
  1. Throw chicken breasts, Rotel, corn, black beans, Ranch dressing mix, chili powder, and cumin into the crockpot and cook on high for about 4 hours (can also cook on low for about 6-7 hours).
  2. If you’re home, stir occasionally.  
  3. 30 min. before you’re ready to eat, take the chicken out of the crockpot and shred it into bite-sized pieces with two forks.  Put chicken back in the crockpot.
  4. Then, put the cream cheese in and stir it for a few minutes, encouraging its break-down.
  5. Replace the lid and let hang out for the remaining half hour.
  6. Stir a little more to ensure the cream cheese has melted.
  7. Serve and enjoy!  
 
I'm sorry I forgot to take a picture of how mine turned out, but it looks exactly like the picture.
(if you can believe that!)


I am already thinking of the next time I am going to make this. That's how good it was. It serves 6 easily, maybe 8.

Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment