Saturday, September 6, 2014

First Day of Preschool

Tuesday was the big day. Ethan ventured off to preschool for the first time.

Ethan was so excited, and the day could not have gone better. I was excited that Evan took the morning off from work to do drop off and pick up with us. It made Ethan's first day extra special.

The night before, I did start to feel a bit sad. I couldn't believe that my son was old enough to start preschool. Seriously, he is growing up way too fast- and life needs a pause button. I kept thinking to myself that from this point on, he will always be in school. And, I know what that means...it will only go by even faster.

The morning of, everything went very smoothly. We all got up, got dressed, ate our breakfast, and even had 10 extra minutes to spare for pictures! WHOA, write that one down, because that NEVER happens. Ethan was so happy, and so calm. "Mommy I'm going to school!" he tells me. Yes sweet boy...yes you are. Sniff Sniff.

 
Seriously mom, what is this thing?!
 




 
I can't believe how good this picture turned out! I love it. It is so hard to get pictures with Ethan looking, and smiling.



 
Daddy, I wanna be like you when I grow up.
 

 
His preschool bag is almost as big as he is!
 
 
We walked Ethan into his classroom on the first day instead of using the carpool line. I just didn't feel right about dropping him off in the carpool line and letting someone else walk him into his classroom on his first day. I mean, rip my heart out why don't you.
 
The teachers and administration encourage carpool line. They say it is better for those who struggle with separation anxiety, and limits the amount of time parents stick around. I totally get this. However, Ethan is quite the opposite. Very independent, and very happy to explore new people and new things. When Evan and I walked him into his classroom he let go of our hands, and was gone. The teacher pretty much shooed us out of the room. Again, I understand...but it was still really hard. I told him I loved him, and that was it. As we walked away I felt my tears welling up. I choked them back. Evan was so proud of me!
 
Before I knew it, it was time to go pick him back up! The morning went by quickly. Evan and I were excited to see how his first day went. For pick up, all the parents line up at the door. The children are released one at a time, giving you face to face interaction time with the teachers. When it was our turn, Ethan was all smiles! He had the best day! His teachers said he did awesome!
 
On Thursday, we used the carpool line. No problems. Ethan had another great day. On the way home he asked me "Mommy when can we go back?" I overhear him talking about his teachers Ms. Elizabeth and Ms. Jennifer often, and singing the songs he learned this week. It makes my heart happy.
 
Here's to a great year in preschool! I can't wait to see what the year will hold for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment