Friday, October 17, 2014

Black, Gold, and Eric Church

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's been a while. Sorry. Life has really gotten in the way of my blogging these last two weeks. What little free time I have had, has been spent on the couch resting, or trying to catch up on sleep. I promise, I have a lot of catching up to do- so be on the look out for some additional posts!

Two weekends ago, Evan and I traveled up to Boone/Blowing Rock for a kid free weekend. Ahhhh, let's say that again. Kid.Free.Weekend. What was I looking forward to most you ask? SLEEPING IN. Relaxing, and actually sitting still for longer than 2.5 seconds.  It was glorious.

We started our evening off on Friday by eating at a new restaurant in downtown Blowing Rock called The Town Tavern. It was delicious. The next morning was unusually cold for the first weekend of October. It was blustery and frigid when the wind hit you. It was a high of 47, with a wind chill of around 40 or so. We walked around downtown Blowing Rock, and Evan wanted to try the chicken salad sandwich at the Blowing Rock Market. Since I wasn't hungry I enjoyed a nice cup of hot chocolate. After walking around a bit, we headed back to the cabin to get ready to go tailgating at the football game. Appalachian State is in a new conference this year, with a new coach. We are definitely in a transition time with some growing pains.  If you are an ASU fan, you know that in more recent times, we have been used to winning. So, this new transition comes with a bit of a shock. Needless to say, the game was boring, and we were not winning...and it was cold.

 
 
 
 


Things didn't get interesting until...

The two girls in front of us noticed that Eric Church was sitting 3 rows down from us with his wife, and one member of his band. What?! Eric Church and his wife both graduated from ASU around the year 2000. They have one son named Boone, and another on the way. We are big country music fans- incase you didn't know. :)

I was so excited! I have never been that close to a celebrity before. I finally convinced Evan to come with me to go meet him. Surprisingly, he was not being swarmed by fans. I really don't think people recognized him. He had on his big glasses (I don't think he ever takes those off?) a hat, and a hoodie. No security or anything crazy like that- just trying to enjoy what normal people do. I felt bad drawing attention to him but- my thinking was that this kind of opportunity would never happen again.

Evan went down and broke the ice for me. He introduced himself and asked if it was okay if we took a picture with him. He was very nice and said "absolutely!". We only talked for a few seconds- he was eager to assume his incognito position on the bleachers.



The rest of the football game was spent spying on Eric and his wife. Hey..it was fun!

We had a slow morning on Sunday, and headed home around lunch time.

A big thanks to my parents who took great care of Ethan for us while we were gone. He had a blast.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. So cool that you got to "hang out" with Eric Church at the football game and very neat to have a picture with him. Definitely the icing on the cake that was a kid-free weekend.

    ReplyDelete